Hemorrhoids are very uncomfortable to have and could put you at risk to have complications that could become a major health threat. This is actually experienced by almost half of the population in older adults making it a common ailment. Hemorrhoids are dilated veins that are more common to people who put more pressure in this area.
This could be due to pregnancy, straining during bowel movement, excessive sitting, diarrhea, heavy lifting and coughing. There are actually a lot of ways on how to treat hemorrhoids. You could choose a variety of remedies from those that could be done at home or those from the latest medical discoveries.
Hemorrhoids could be either internal or external. External hemorrhoids are the ones usually giving the problem. These are the ones that cause you the problem and let you feel the burning sensation around the area. It is best that you give prompt attention to it before it gets worse.
Here are some ways to minimize the symptoms or to get rid of it.
- Have a Hot Sitz bath every day. This is ideally done after every bowel movement. This is fairly simple to do and does not require any special equipment. In order to do this, soak your bottom in warm water for about 15 to 20 minutes. This greatly helps in relaxing and soothing the veins that cause the burning and itching sensation you feel. Just make sure you are using plain water only and not adding any other ingredient as not to irritate it further. After soaking it, allow it to air dry or you can pat it dry with a soft, lint-free towel. Just make sure that you do not rub it vigorously so as not to aggravate the burning feeling.
- Pain-relieving medications could actually help alleviate the discomfort. This is available as oral medications or topical creams. Topical creams are the more famous preference when dealing with hemorrhoids. There are also those that are available not only to relive the pain but also to shrink the hemorrhoids. These are actually marketed in a lot of different names but the base ingredients are hydrocortisone, Vitamin E, glycerine, witch hazel, Aloe Vera, horse chestnut and phenyleprhine HCl which is a medication that is a known blood vasoconstrictor.
- Some medications may also contain anesthetics. Medicated wipes and anal suppositories can also be purchased over the counter in the market to somehow soothe the itching and pain. These are just some ways on how to treat hemorrhoids.
- If you want a simpler method in handling the hemorrhoid, then you could simply put ice to the affected area. It is advisable that you use sterilized ice pack to make sure that the incidence of infection would be decreased. The cold is an effective vasoconstrictor which constricts the dilated veins in the rectum. This will relieve the swelling and the burning feeling around the area. You could apply the sterilized ice pack on the rectal area for about 15 minutes up to several times a day depending on your preference.
- Irritation of the anal area may also happen due to the increased use of certain medications. This is especially true for those who self-medicate. This could even further irritate the hemorrhoids and make the situation worse. If you are not sure what to do, consult a medical practitioner and for the mean time keep the area dry at all times. Use hypoallergenic powder to absorb the moisture in that specific area for the whole day.
Make sure not to include additional substances that contain fragrances and irritants. This is another suggestion on how to treat hemorrhoids. Consult with your physicians before using any home made hemorrhoids treatment.